How do I get custody if I am not married?

A paternity proceeding is a legal action to determine whether a man is the father of a child and to confer the rights and duties associated with that child to the respective parents. The Mother’s rights are already conferred per the Florida statutes if the parties are unmarried. Therefore, many proceedings are started due to either the mother trying to confirm paternity and establish time-sharing and child support or the Father asserting and establishing his parentage and therefore also the Court determining time-sharing and child support.

Video 1 of our 4 part Paternity video series: What is Paternity in Florida?

Do’s and Don’ts in Paternity Proceedings?

What happens if a Paternity case is filed? Do’s and Don’ts in a Florida Paternity Case. Watch the 2nd video of our Paternity series about the Do’s and Don’ts for Paternity proceedings in Florida – information provided by Attorney Kymberly Starr of William S. Foley, P.A.

The next steps after someone files for paternity in Florida

Kymberly Starr, Esq. of William S. Foley, P.A. discusses the next steps in a Paternity case in Florida and child support in a paternity matter – Video 3 of 4 of our Paternity series: Click here for our third video of our four-part series

Do I get timesharing if I pay child support? How do I get rights for my child?

While the primary purpose of the proceeding tends to require the father to provide support for his child, the issue of time-sharing and parental responsibility may also be addressed.

Many people do not understand that you have to affirmatively move forward in the court system in order to assert rights with your child if you are a father in Florida.

The rights do NOT automatically attach, as many people would believe. If you are married to your wife, then yes, you have equal rights to your child. BUT,

and this is a BIG BUT,

if you are not married, you…do…not…have…rights…to…your..own…child…as…an…unmarried….father.

As a mother, you have more rights than the unmarried father.

But as the father, without a time-sharing/custody order, your rights are…well, you can pay support and that’s about it.

So, how do you actually get to see your own child?

How do you become a part of the child’s life?

How can you assert that right in court?

You move forward in court.

You file a paternity proceeding.

So what is that? Click HERE

What is the law on Child support in Paternity Cases? And what else is important to know about Paternity cases?

Our final video of our 4 part Paternity video series discusses child support and some parting thoughts in paternity cases:

Final Video of our 4 part Paternity video series

Call William S. Foley, P.A. at (813) 272-2345 about any additional information about our 4 part information series about Paternity in Florida.

What if your wife’s child is not actually your biological child?

Sometimes the answer to this question surprises people…Read more below.

What if the baby isn’t mine?

Scroll to Top